Thursday, March 3, 2011

Refresher Course in Long Division


The teacher in this video teaches long division in the exact same way that I learned it in fifth grade in Minneapolis. My daughter is now learning long division, but the curriculum we are using (Math U See) teaches it using place-value notation and includes several extra steps. She has to add many zeros, thus making her very mixed up. I see what Math U See is trying to accomplish by teaching the children the "reason" behind long division. They are learning problem solving also by including the place-value notation, but I find it too cumbersome. Therefore, after watching this Math Mammoth video, I am going to start teaching her the way I learned. It is so straightforward and very understandable to me. If you need a refresher course in long division, I recommend watching this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment