Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Latest

So much has happened in the last few weeks. Ethan graduated with an M.T.S. a week ago. The ceremony and Open House all went very well. We were especially blessed to have Ethan's dad, Luther, give the Commencement Address. He gave the graduates much practical wisdom from his experience of almost fifty years of ministry as a pastor. Luther also showed the graduates the importance of showing people Jesus Christ rather than pointing to themselves as ministers. Ethan's mom and Uncle Laverne and Aunt Kathy were at the graduation. We also had Ethan's sister, Sharon, come all the way from Colorado to celebrate. I enjoyed her company so much after almost two years have passed since seeing her. We will see all of the siblings in July to celebrate Ethan's mom and dad's fiftieth wedding anniversary celebration. That will be a joyous day. My parents, my sister, Melissa, and brother-in-law, Erik, were all at the ceremony. It was so fun to visit with friends and family at the Open House afterwards. Two of Ethan's uncles came to the Open House, and several friends. All in all, the day went very smoothly, and we are so amazed that it is finished! God sustained us and helped us through that entire two year process. Every need was provided for and every class finished. Soli Deo Gloria!

Less than one month ago we had snow and freezing weather, and now as of yesterday, I have 99% of the garden planted for the summer! It has been quite a dramatic transition since last month. We went from snow and ice to summer shorts and flip-flops in a matter of a few short weeks. The kids have been begging me to get their summer clothes out, and finally, this past weekend, I got all the clothing switched out. The hand-me-downs came out of the boxes, and I was able to find some great buys at the garage sale last weekend for Amy and Lizzy. I finished planting the garden yesterday! It has been such a long winter/spring that I was not able to get anything planted early, but we now have radishes and lettuce growing, as well as rhubarb. All the other seeds and plantings are in the ground and we hope will grow. I let each of the kids plant some things in a space about 2 feet by 4 feet per child. I hope they are happy with the results. It was so fun to see which seeds and plantings they chose.

Today was our last day of homeschool and tomorrow the kids will have their last day at School of Choice. We made it! All in all, I am happy we chose this option. It has been a challenging year, but we all feel much better than last year's schooling. I am seeing a lot of growth in character in the kids, as well as academic advances. Praise God for growth! It has been a work of grace. At school, they each received a certificate called "Recognition of Character" from Mrs. T and Mrs. H. Gretchen was recognized for "Initiative" and "Orderliness." Peter John received an award for "Creativity" and "Boldness." Lizzy was recognized for the characteristics "Truthfulness" and "Decisiveness." I must say I am quite impressed at the time their teachers took to identify these qualities in each of the children and then write a certificate for each one. We are blessed with some awesome teachers.

Things are busy, busy around here. This weekend is full with Ethan preaching for our pastor who will be taking a break, I am accompanying the service on piano, and we have a big garage sale planned for my Grandma who has moved in with my parents recently. We decided to start the garage sale one day early because they are forecasting rain for Friday, so tomorrow will be very full. I also have a sister who is moving this week into my Grandma's house, and my other sister is super busy remodeling their house. We are running around trying to get our mower and the garage door fixed in the meantime. Ethan is working several part-time/temporary jobs, so it will be a very busy summer for him, but I am happy for God's provision.

Lizzy reminded us of a wonderful verse today they she had memorized:
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
I Thessalonians 5:16-18

and also the verse we memorized this week:
Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth!
Serve the LORD with gladness!
Come into his presence with singing!
Psalm 100:1-2

I was so grateful for that refreshing word from God from the mouth of a little child. God is so faithful to show us His truth. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment