Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Storm

There is so much consolation in the thought that though we suffer in this life and face storms of many kinds, Jesus can sympathize with us because of the vast amount of suffering He experienced at the cross. Dr. Timothy Keller expounds on this thought in His free online sermon entitled "Jesus At His Father's Feast" about Jesus' discussion with the elders at the temple at age 12.

Keller says:

That’s why you should trust Him, because He absolutely loves and is totally committed to serving the people He confuses, His parents. But how much more is that a reflection of Him totally, totally dedicated to loving and serving us, who He often confuses.

When a storm comes up, don’t say, “Oh Lord Jesus, why are you letting me go through this storm? Don’t you care that I perish? Instead say, “Jesus, you bowed your head into a far worse storm than this, the storm of eternal justice, and you didn’t abandon me in that storm but you stayed in that storm for me. So, if you didn’t abandon me in that storm, you’re not going to abandon me in this storm. I don’t know why you are letting me go through it, but I know that you are committed to me, just like you were committed to your parents. You didn’t have to do it, it was voluntary, but you did it.”

-Dr. Timothy Keller in the sermon “Jesus at His Father’s Feast,” Dec. 25, 2005, Luke 2:41-52.

1 comment:

  1. That's right! I recently heard a sermon where the pastor was saying if we aren't experiencing tough times in our lives we should question our walk. This life isn't mean to be a smooth ride. Made me feel so much better!

    ReplyDelete