Sunday, April 22, 2012

Precious In The Sight of The Lord

Charles Colson passed away yesterday, April 21, 2012 at 80 years old. His life in Christ, ministry to broken imprisoned people, and his books written to teach about the Christian Worldview have inspired many Christians around the world.  I will never forget his book, Kingdoms in Conflict, which first introduced me to the lives of countless Christians who have impacted the world, including William Wilberforce. When I told my son, Peter John, about Charles Colson and his death, he said, "I know!" and ran downstairs.  He brought me this graphic book that he had read from his grandparents' comic collection.  I love it when I see my kids make a connection.

Another saint went to heaven recently. My husband's uncle, Wilfred Overgaard, passed away March 3, 2012 at age 92. Wilf and Evy were servants of the Lord who worked in Thailand with WEC for many years. In fact they were the pioneer missionaries who founded the work in Thailand for WEC in 1949.  They inspired me when they shared about their love for the Thai people and the language before I went to Thailand as a missionary teacher in 1997.  Wilf showed me their Thai Bible and graciously shared with me about some of the Christian churches that had grown up in the Bangkok area where I would be serving.  Their passion for Jesus and the Gospel was so evident and I will never forget them.  Then I had the privilege of marrying into their family when I married their nephew, Ethan!!!  

Last month we ventured to Arizona in a 6 passenger Buick Park Avenue with the two of us and our four kids crammed together for 30 hours over the course of two days.  We were able to attend the memorial service for Wilfred in Mesa, Arizona where he lived.  It was such a privilege to be there, and the service was so glorifying to God and encouraging.  I praise God for His amazing grace displayed in the lives of these saints.
Somewhere in South Dakota...Ethan drove the whole way to AZ!
The three youngest on the way to Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment