Monday, July 9, 2012

Harvesting Already

When my sister and fam were living in France they depended on this blog to give them a "virtual garden."  This year I have not been very faithful at updating the garden progress, so I will pack the past month and a half into this one blog.  We have already begun harvesting spinach, lettuce, dill, cilantro, rhubarb, and just this week the raspberries.  Today I plan to pick green string beans and yellow wax beans that are ready.
 Last month Gretchen and PJ helped me to cut up some rhubarb (it is a neverending harvest) along with our friend.
 Spinach was done in June so I blanched a froze it for green shakes or quiche in the wintertime.
 The raspberries were a little pink last week but Lizzy and Amy could not resist picking some.
 Lizzy and Amy are standing in front of part of the garden.  My corn is about chest high, but the local cornfields are more than 6 feet tall right now. It was an early spring so it has grown well beyond "knee high by fourth of July."
 Cucumbers, Zucchini, and beets.  I also have a lovely "Forget-Me-Not" that volunteered from last year.
Here is a good view of the beans (we have a ton of them), corn and most of the garden with our neighbor's house in the background.  It should be a good year, Lord willing.  God makes it grow!!!

When we got back from Colorado everything had grown a large amount, including the weeds! My mother-in-law was here for two days so one evening she helped me weed. It was so nice to have a partner in the weeding. I need to get out there again today. My in-laws are coming again today, and it is JoAnn's birthday, so I need to bake a cake, too.  Summer is great! Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment