Monday, August 6, 2012

Jesus Loves Me This I Know

This may be an elementary theological concept, but it should never be far from our thoughts nor our lips:
Jesus loves me, this I know.
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong,
They are weak but He is strong.

Kathy Chapell, wife of Dr. Bryan Chapell, reminded mothers in her talk at The Gospel Coalition conference for women of this basic theological truth, that Jesus loves us. I just finished listening to this talk called "Parenting With Christ In Mind" while working in my kitchen. She spoke so much about the unconditional love of our Father God and how that is reflected in our Christian parenting.  I know that this is such an important truth to know about God but we are often tempted and lied to by the Enemy of our souls to continually question if God's love is not based on our performance or works. The truth, of course, is "no."  God's love for us is based on His character and grace alone.

Dr. Chapell wrote in his book, "Holiness by Grace: Delighting in the Joy that is our Strength" these true words:
For if he loves us because of what is in our hands, then the days will come when we will believe that his affection has diminished because our works are small, or that his care has vanished because our deeds are wrong.
Ethan ordered us this book to read, and I began reading it last week while he was out of town.  The book is written to explain the relationship of God and believers based on a relationship of God's grace which results in a heart of love for God which desires to obey Him and to be holy.  It explains sanctification in such lovely terms that remind me once again why I love God so much: He loved me first that He GAVE His Son to save me from my sins and offer eternal life.  Grace alone.  No more guilt. No more shame. No more bondage. Free to love, not out of compulsion or obligation, but out of joy, gratitude, and newness.

To explain God's unconditional love in simpler terms, Dr. Chapell has written a beautiful story that we have read to our children called, "I'll Love You Anyway And Always."  In this story, a little girl disobeys her father's instructions to not overwater the orchid plant in the garden, and the plant wilts. The girl fears that her father will not love her anymore because of what she has done. Her father lovingly tells her the Gospel story found throughout the pages of the Bible to her daughter. Later when the girl's brother sins against her, she is able to forgive him and show him she still loves him.  So precious!  Let us never get away from this simple truth about God and His loving attitude towards us, his wayward sons and daughters.


No comments:

Post a Comment