Monday, November 12, 2012

Mothering on Friday

O Lord, You have examined my heart and know everything about me. Psalm 139:1 NLT

Friday was a normal day of raising kids--crazy but full of God's grace.  Ethan was out of town for part of the day, and we were busy homeschooling as we do on Fridays.  Amy had woken up with a fever and spent the day in bed. Later Lizzy came to me with a bleeding gum that was sore and swollen.  I was afraid it was an abscess so I took her to the dentist leaving Gretchen in charge of Amy.  I called the next-door neighbor to ask if they could be available if Gretchen had any questions or problems.  That went just fine.  Fortunately, her sore gum was due to some accident, probably from chewing on something hard.  There was no infection and no procedure needed, thankfully. Hah! The Friday before Peter had to have a tooth pulled for a different reason.

By the end of the afternoon, poor Amy began to complain about a sore throat.  After examining her throat with a flashlight, I decided she probably had strep throat, and I called the doctor's office. The receptionist told me if I could get there in ten minutes, they could fit me in before closing time.  The wonderful doctor took one look at her throat and determined that she had "angry strep" and she was promptly tested and prescribed antibiotics and sent out the door.  Meanwhile, Peter and Lizzy were swimming at the YMCA, and Gretchen was holding down the fort at home.

Being a mother is an amazing balancing act with all kinds of events taking place EVERY DAY!  It is such a comfort to know that God is in control of it all, and I can trust our Shepherd, our gracious Father to take care of everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment