Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sampler From Granny

The little girls enjoying what has been completed so far on Granny's Quilt.
Some of the treasures that I inherited from my grandmother after her recent death were fifteen unfinished quilt squares.  These squares were designed to be a part of a quilt sampler intended for Ethan and me.  She created them during a time when she was experiencing intense pain after receiving treatment for breast cancer.  I believe that as a result of her pain and all the medications, some of the squares were a bit skewed.

I tried to add borders to some so that they would all have the same dimensions.  Next I had to find a way to put them together.  My sister-in-law, Sharon, was here a couple of weeks ago, so she gave me some advice on that.  She is definitely a more experienced quilter than I am.  I am in the process of putting it all together right now. I added some borders and squares of my own at the top and bottom.  My favorite squares that Grandma made so far are the house square, the three-dimensional blocks, and the spools of thread.  The next step will be to buy batting, made a fabric back, and begin to quilt it.  It should be an interesting experience, and I hope will honor my grandma and all of her hard work.

Then on to the knitted sweater that Grandma started during the last year of her life here on earth!  That will be a challenge, too.  Any advice from knitters out there on how to complete it would be very appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Elysia - Oh my! You have done a beautiful job pulling all the squares together! What a wonderful sweet treasure from your Grandma!
    Love to you,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creating a continuing multigenerational legacy. Nice. Dad

    ReplyDelete