Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Update from Uganda and from Home

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
    for his steadfast love endures forever! Psalm 118:1

People often ask how we do while Ethan is away for periods of time. This trip is sixteen days total, and he has been gone two weeks so far. I always answer that I support him completely in what he is doing in teaching the Gospel to those who need the training the most. It is truly a privilege to serve the King of Kings and to be a missionary. 
My chaperone group at the musical "Peter Pan" Children's Theater, Mpls.

Mother's Day dinner at Culver's Restaurant

Breakfast made by G and a Lego note made by my two youngest

Fun at our friend's horse show

We saw lots of friends at the horse show

Life goes on….G's recital is coming up.
 
Nevertheless, with the privilege comes the trials and sorrows, too. The hard work of raising children and tending to their needs, including their ever-changing emotions, can be wearing. In addition, we experience the attacks from the Enemy of our souls, who sends His fiery darts relentlessly.

This relentless pursuit from the Enemy involves attacking our physical lives such as illness or in causing our car, oven, and washing machine to break down on the same trip my husband got his documents stolen and was stuck in London for three days; or it involves our emotions and temptations to sin which we daily battle (uffda, yesterday morning was a tough battle in that regard); or battling our wills to keep praying for the work in these other countries and staying close to God in His word; or distracting us from the real work, which is believing in Jesus whom the Father sent and rejoicing that our names are written in heaven; and finally, and most concerning, distracting us from the glory of our great and beautiful Savior, Jesus Christ, who is our Good Shepherd, our Faithful High Priest, the Alpha and the Omega, the Bread of Life, the Living Water sent from Heaven, the Redeemer, the Great I Am, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, the Resurrection and the Life, the Door, the Vine, the Servant, the Son of Man, the Son of God, the Judge, and the Lion of the Tribe of Judah. When these attacks come, we turn to Jesus with the Shield of Faith God has given us to extinguish these fiery darts coming at us from all directions. We are confident because God's word tells us:
Psalm 17:8-9
Keep me as the apple of Your eye; Hide me under the shadow of Your wings, From the wicked who oppress me, From my deadly enemies who surround me.
Psalm  118:5-7, 14,
Out of my distress I called on the LORD; the LORD answered me and set me free.  The LORD is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me? The LORD is on my side as my helper; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me…The LORD is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.
Photo taken near the campus in Uganda
I have spoken to Ethan a few times through the computer, as the University has a good internet connection. Ethan's classes are at the end of a ten-hour day of intense classes for the students, who are often very tired by this point.  This two-week intense period of classes are offered for remote students, including pastors, who must travel periodically to the University in order to study and take classes.  Ethan spends three hours teaching them, and then the last hour and a half of class is spent at the library working on papers and quizzes, as well as studying.  He has taken some time throughout the class for brief breaks so that the students can keep going.  Africa Renewal University sits in a lovely location with beautiful brick buildings overlooking hills and trees.  Ethan spent time last Saturday traveling to see other parts of Uganda including Lake Victoria, a once in a lifetime experience.  He preached Sunday at the campus church, and is currently working through the last week of classes.  We see him again Saturday afternoon.  Hurray!

2 comments:

  1. As we pray for Ethan as he teaches and travels, we pray for you and the kids too! God's grace is sufficient each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your update, Elysia! It is a good reminder of the challenges facing the families of missionaries. I will continue to pray for all of you!

    ReplyDelete