Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Peter Rabbit and More Growth





Here's a recent gardening update, Kirsten!
Before I took this picture a few weeks ago I noticed our radish leaves had been attacked by a little creature better known as Peter Rabbit. In order to evade his tricky advances we secured the area with a short fence, thanks to Ethan, who sacrificed his Sabbath to save the plants.

Here is Ethan and Peter John hard at work:



I have been very pleased with the progress of the rhubarb and took our first two pickings these past two weeks. You can see the rhubarb behind Peter John in the picture above. The kids have been enjoying the beautiful spring; the green grass and beautiful flowers that are popping up everywhere. Our carrots began to grow, and I am excited to put cucumber and bean seeds into the ground this week. Here is our little greenhouse rack of flowers, tomatoes, and peppers:





Here is a picture I took today of the lettuces and onions. I can almost taste that fresh salad and Mexican food we'll be able to enjoy soon!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Elysia, thank you so much. Your family is lovely. I especially like that one of Amy in the dandelion crown. My garden in the summer of 2000 was so therapeutic. I loved the rich black Minnesota soil, and the green stuff that popped up and grew, and produced it's fruit. Gardening is so miraculous really. Praising God for your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, Elysia!! I would not have thought plants would be so far along in NORTHERN MN. The garden and the family both look great. I am harvesting my rhubarb this week. Any rhubarb bread recipes?

    ReplyDelete