Monday, March 22, 2010

The Man In A Tree by Gretchen

Our daughter, Gretchen, age 8, wrote a paraphrase of the Bible story, Zaccheus. I told her I would publish it here, because I really like how she wrote it.

THE MAN IN A TREE

Retold by Gretchen Larson

copyright 2010

One day Jesus was going to a town to preach. Jesus was in the middle of a huge crowd of people. There also was a man who everyone hated, a tax collecter! He was very short. His name was Zaccheus and he was at the edge of the crowd. He tried and tried to see Jesus but couldn’t.

He looked around and saw a big tree. He could see Jesus from there! He quickly climbed the tree and saw Jesus coming down the road. Jesus saw him too! Jesus approached the tree and said “Zaccheus, come down for I’m going to your house today.” The crowd started mumbling. Zaccheus could not believe his ears. Jesus, a great teacher wanted to stay with him. He excitedly climbed down the tree.

when Jesus got to his house, he ate and drank, and during the feast Zaccheus said

“I will give back the money I took and will pay them 4 times as much.”Jesus liked this attitude and left the house.

we should be like Zaccheus by saying sorry for what we have done. We should be kind and forgiving just like Jesus was.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent, Gretchen. Zaccheus has been on my mind this week. Thinking how desparate he was to meet Jesus that a tax collector would make a fool of himself by climbing a tree. He wanted to change his life and he KNEW that Jesus was the person to start it.

    I am sorry to hear of Donna's death. I remember her well and her love of God and her joy in praising Him. I know that all of you will miss her. Please accept my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interpretation Gretch. You are such an excellent storyteller. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your active descriptions Gretchen, "he quickly climbed the tree.... he excitedly climbed down the tree." you are a great writer. Thanks for sharing Elysia.

    ReplyDelete