Saturday, March 20, 2010

What Was The Purpose of Donna's Life?

I just returned from the funeral of Donna Nokes, a friend of our family, and the church secretary at my parent's church. The funeral was an amazing expression of a life well-lived. Though her life was brief, only 57 years, she lived it for Jesus, her Savior. I would like to share the main points from Pastor Dan's message, "What Was The Purpose of Donna's Life?" because this message is one that reminds us of what is important. I am challenged to live a better life because of Donna's example.

1. To remind us that God is Sovereign.
Isaiah 40:13-15
James 4:13-17
Ex. 34:23-24
2. To remind us that people are more important than things.
What would happen if we spent more time guarding our relationships than in guarding our stuff? Donna cared more about people.
3. To remind us of God's love.
Donna lived through many tragedies and disappointments, but she did not become bitter or mean-spirited. Donna was able to empathize with many people.
Rom. 5:6-7
4. To remind us that God wants godly offspring.
Mal. 2:15
Donna shared Jesus with her kids. Donna poured her life into her children.
5. To remind us there are better days ahead.
1 Thess. 4

2 comments:

  1. That was such a great sermon and tribute to Donna. I loved her. I remember when I got married she put up a couple of my friends for the wedding who were total strangers, fed them, and would accept no payment in return except a hug for her each time I saw her. What a woman!!!! She will be truly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that Elysia. Donna truly was a servant and encouragment. When I was on bed-rest with Katie she gave me massages. She was always so joyful and gave God all the glory. I'm glad I got to read what was shared at her funeral.

    ReplyDelete